Why Soy Wax Candles?
Soy wax candles are becoming a popular alternative to paraffin wax candles because they are made from plant oils which are natural, biodegradable and renewable and so are a lot more environmentally friendly compared to other candles that use petroleum in their wax.
- Soya Wax is: Longer, Cooler and Cleaner burning, is renewable and biodegradable and free from pesticides and herbicides.
- Soya wax is water soluble, so used containers can be cleaned out and re-used or recycled!
- Soy wax burns up to 30%-50% longer than paraffin wax.
- Soy candles produce about 90% less soot than paraffin candles, therefore the burning of soy candles does not increase the CO2 level in the atmosphere like paraffin candles can.
- Soy wax cleans up with hot soapy water.
Paraffin can contain dangerous toxins and carcinogens such as benzene, acetone, lead & mercury when burned (Source):
“Scented candles are the major source of candle soot deposition. Most candle wax paraffin are saturated hydrocarbons that are solid at room temperature. Most fragrance oils are unsaturated hydrocarbons and are liquid at room temperature. The lower the carbon-to-hydrogen ratio, the less soot is produced by the flame. Therefore, waxes that have more fragrances in them produce more soot” Soot coats ceilings and walls with unburned chemicals. Paraffin burns at a higher temperature meaning that is burns faster, it is not water soluble or biodegradable.